Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Posts from the Edge

One of my favorite things to do at the moment is to talk with my daughter. She is sixteen and a true joy. We laugh so much right now. She is so full of wonder and information and knowledge. We love discussing books, philosophy, religion, theology, people, science, history, culture, food, art, music, theatre, poetry, movies, boys; everything. We will start out on a very serious subject and end up laughing so hard, tears roll down our cheeks. The child retains AMAZING amounts of information. She loves to debate, or argue a point-- and I am working at teaching her how important it is to KNOW YOUR FACTS not just your opinion.
She is so very charming, this daughter of mine. Loving and generous and endearing. Beautiful and artless, she is totally unaware of the figure she casts. I love to walk arm in arm with her as we shop. To laugh with her, and to hear her tell me her secrets, her hopes, wishes and wants. I love to hear that she is glad I am her mother; because I am so very glad she is my daughter. I love hearing from my child that I am the 'best mom'. Yes, I know the vanity in that. And I'll stand the risk of censure. But to hear approval from the one whom all your efforts affect most truly means a great deal, especially when you are not a mother who gives in to pacify a rant or cry; or who lifts the burden of chores from her child to make time for more play. I believe in arming my child with the knowledge of reality. And so, she has chores, is not indulged with all things she wants and is never rewarded for bad or unacceptable behavior.
I have found a wonderful place in motherhood. I do indeed PARENT my child. But I feel I am also teaching her that in authority, there is a friendship worth grasping; for in true authority there is grace and love not cruelty and tyranny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, stay on topic. No spam.